Happy October Sweat Gang! To start off this fall season Jfitt is sharing 5 ways to create positive energy in your life! What better way to start a new month, new season and end the year than with positivity?
Our society is a fast paced environment of social media, always in a hurry to get places just so we can be five to ten minutes late. Usually, with that type of rush, it’s easy to forget how much caffeine, artificial sugars and processed foods we consume. Then suddenly we start to feel drained. At times we can become engulfed with each thing we have to complete in our lives. This can lead us to negative thoughts robbing us of our positive vibes. It happens to all of us, it’s part of life. If we don’t know what negative energy is, how can we feel positivity?
I believe being positive is a frame of mind and we are responsible for the environment we surround ourselves with. Our surroundings and what we do on a daily basis makes a huge difference in us sustaining a positive state. Everyday seems like a battle to keep ourselves happy. I put together a list with this cycle in mind, (no special order) of 5 things you can do that will assist you in creating a positive environment for yourself.
- Breathing: Breathing is a task we perform daily that is second nature to us all. However, are you even breathing right bro? Chances are, probably not. “Breath focus is a common feature of several techniques that evoke the relaxation response.” The first step is learning to breathe deeply. Taking deep breaths are a good way to release unwanted stress and emotions from the body (or you can ask your abuela to rub an egg on you, your choice!). While you are on your 15 minute break at work, step outside, find a comfortable spot and breath. Close your eyes and inhale through nose, hold it in your stomach, then exhale through your mouth – relaxing your mind and body. Slowly you will begin to feel the stresses of the day leave your body, resulting in a better state of mind.
- Food: What we deposit into our bodies contributes to how we feel. Many of us identify ourselves as “emotional eaters” (we eat to make ourselves feel better). Consuming a double meat cheeseburger may sound delicious in the moment. How will you feel afterwards? Chances are energized isn’t it. More like lethargic. When you have a busy day ahead of you, food affects how feel. Nourish your body with fresh fruits and vegetables. Treat your body with high quality whole foods from the farmers market. In return, you will become more productive, which in turn leads to a more positive and healthy lifestyle.
- Family Time: “If you can always find the positive in a situation, your child too will look for the positive in life’s ups and downs.” Family time reassures children when they experience life’s setbacks. I don’t mean sitting on the couch while the kids play XBox and your significant other is on their smart phone flipping through social media. I mean, creating family experiences together. Take a 30 minute walk around the park while asking your kids about their day and how they feel? This is a great way to start. Remember, family time is about creating memorable experiences.
- Journaling: Setting time aside to write, whether morning or evening, is an act of discipline and discipline begets discipline. Like a muscle, the more you exercise it, the stronger it becomes. Habits formed in one area of life have a tendency to spread; as keeping your office clean leads to keeping the bedroom tidy. Your daily practice of writing will cause a domino effect into other healthy habits. Write out positive thoughts, express gratitude and express your negative emotions through journaling.
- Exercise: Whether it’s lifting weights, swinging kettlebells or doing yoga, exercise is a very important staple in creating a positive environment for ourselves. The endorphins that are released while exercising give you a feeling of accomplishment. Overcoming the mental battle to go exercise is a workout within itself. However, once you completed 30 minutes of a heart pumping, fat burning training session, you will be left feeling empowered and in control of your life.
NOW! Let’s KISS (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID). If you are just starting off, pick one or two of these tips and implement them into your week. Our goal is to develop a habit that we can keep for a lifetime. Tell yourself “I AM” going to perform this tip then proceed and set daily reminders. Lastly, keep the negativity ninjas at a distance. I say ninjas, because they creep up on you and don’t see them coming.
“Look for something positive in each day, even If you have to look a little harder”
One thought on “Smile, breathe and go slowly.”
Love this! You kept it simple but informative! Had me breathing along while reading. Thank you for this!